Open Enrollment

  • Parents/guardians considering the use of the open enrollment option to enroll their child/ren in another public school district in the state of Iowa should be aware of the following dates:

    March 2, 2020 – Last date for regular open enrollment requests for the 2019-2020 school year.

    September 1, 2020 – Last date for kindergarten open enrollment requests for the 2019-2020 school year.

    Parents/guardians of open enrollment students whose income falls below 160% of the federal poverty guidelines are eligible for transportation assistance.  This may be in the form of actual transportation or in the form of a cash stipend.

    Parents/guardians should be aware that open enrollment may result in the loss of athletic eligibility.

    For further details contact the Executive Director of Student & Family Services at 712-328-6423 ext. 352 or a Department of Education Consultant at 515-281-5001.

    Please click here to download an 2020-2021 Open Enrollment Form

    What Parents Should Know About Open Enrollment

    The Council Bluffs Community School District is pleased and honored to be your school system.  Open Enrollment laws give you the opportunity to continue being a part of us, even when you move outside of the district. However, the law is complex and there are several things you should know:

    • There are no tuition charges for students who qualify to change schools under open enrollment.

    • Parents/guardians who wish to transfer out of a district must formally notify that district by January 1st of the school year preceding the year in which the transfer is desired. Exceptions to this include kindergarten students, special education early childhood students, and situations which show “good cause.” General Education Early Childhood students are not eligible for open enrollment.                           

    “Good Cause” means:

    a)      a change in the child’s residence due to a change in family residence

    b)     relocation from another state

    c)      a change in the marital status of a child’s parent/guardian

    d)     a guardianship proceeding

    e)      placement in foster care

    f)      adoption

    g)     participation in a foreign exchange program

    h)     participation in a substance abuse or mental health treatment program

    i)       the closing or loss of accreditation of a non-public school

    j)       change in the status of the student’s resident district.

    If “good cause” exists, the family is immediately eligible for open enrollment.  This means if you move (or meet one of the other “good cause” criteria) you can attend the Council Bluffs Community Schools.

    • Kindergarten open enrollment requests may occur through the September 1st of the Kindergarten year.

    • Open enrollment requests are only to specify a district. The receiving district may specify the building to which the student will be assigned. If you wish to continue attending Council Bluffs Community Schools, your child will continue in his/her current school.

    • A school district may deny an open enrollment request for a number of reasons: effect on racial integration, total number of students, classroom space, lack of appropriate programs or because the student is under suspension or expulsion.

    • A student is generally ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletic contest and competitions for the first 90 days of enrollment in the district. An exception would be made if a student opts to remain in our district under open enrollment following a change of resident district.

    • Transportation, with some exceptions, is generally the responsibility of the parent/guardian.

     The Council Bluffs Community School District is committed to meeting the needs of parents/guardians and students.  If you wish additional information, please contact a building principal or the Executive Director of Student & Family Services at 712-328-6423.


    Homeless children have a right to an education.  If you know of any homeless children please notify your principal or Student & Family Services.  A homeless child is defined as a child or youth between the ages of  5 and 21 who lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence and includes a child or youth who is living on the street, in a car, tent, or abandoned building or some other form of shelter not designed as a permanent home; who is living in a community shelter facility; or who is living with non-nuclear family members or with friends, who may or may not have legal guardianship over the child or youth of school age.  If you are homeless and feel you are being denied an education, contact your child’s principal.   The designated liaison for Homeless Children and Youth for the Council Bluffs Community School District is the Executive Director of Student & Family Services at 712-328-6423 or call Iowa Legal Aid at 712-328-3982.